The Argus-Observer reported on March 23, 1953 that liquor was expected to be available by the drink by May 4.
The change was contingent on the governor signing legislation making the change, but that action was apparently expected.
The newspaper predicted 800 bars across the state would be serving liquor under the new law. At the time, there were 530 “bottle clubs” where patrons could drink under more stringent rules, including three in Ontario.
Bars serving liquor would be required to buy their supplies at the state operated liquor stores.
Women bartenders would be permitted on a “case by case basis” the State Liquor Control Commission indicated, “if it is believed they could handle the situation.”